Saturday, November 11, 2006

Chip off the ol' block

Sometimes I forget how amazing my kid is. Lately I've been so completely self centred (Waah waah waah... MY pain, MY suffering, MY happiness... bleh. Selfish.) I've been wrapped up in my own little world, agonizing over my own drama - that I don't feel like I've really taken the time to sit and ENJOY him (the irony here being that so much of what I've been tormenting myself with is directly related to trying to be the kind of parent that he deserves). I know I haven't been a very attentive mom lately and I'm trying to do better.

Every night at bedtime, after the usual snacktime and teeth brushing rituals, we read a chapter in one of his books (he invariably begs for a second chapter - sometimes I give in, sometimes I don't), then we turn out the big lights, and turn on his globe night light. I muse about where I want to travel, always pointing out some really obscure locations so he'll laugh at me and roll his eyes, then I tuck him in tight and plant some fat smooches on his cheek or forehead (which also makes him groan and roll his eyes).

Once he's well tucked, I lay down next to him, FORCING him to share some of his pillow with me and we lay face to face and do our "favourites". We started this little tradition as soon as he was old enough to talk where he would tell me about the best things that happened in his day and when he was finished, I'd tell him mine. I always wanted to make sure he ended his day on a positive note, thinking about the things that made him happiest, y'know, appreciating the good stuff. Seemed like a good way to fend off nightmares, a nice way to wrap up the day.

Tonight he said his first favourite was that it is a long wkd and he'd have more time to play with his friends. Pretty typical for him. His second was something about conquering a new level on his video game (the kid LOVES his gamecube like little else). His last favourite was "right now". Of course, I asked why. Why was this moment so good? He looked at me and smiled that toothy smile that all eight year olds seem to have and just shrugged. "jeeeeez... I dunno", he laughed, "It just is".

I was instantly completely overwhelmed with love. I teared up. Awwh... He loves me. THIS is one of his favourite moments of the day? Awwwh... I hugged him tight... so tight that he wiggled and tried to squirm loose... "muuuuummm... lemme go.... c'mon... mummmmmm." But I just couldn't let go. I told him how much I loved him and that I'm so proud of him. I apologized for not being much fun lately. More tears. More hugs. More kisses. He pretended to hate it so I hugged him some more.

He giggled and squirmed... "Moooooooom. Stoppit! Lemme go... I'm gonna... I'm gonna..." he laughed a little harder... so I squeezed a little harder.

Then it happened. Just then.... a perfectly timed maneuver to 1) motivate me to let him go and 2) crack me up enough that I would stop with the stupid crying already.

He farted.

Little bugger is a genius.
Fuck I love that kid.

I need to be a better mom. Starting now.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?